Community Planning and Partnerships Annual Meeting - 2021
The GECDSB will hold its annual Community Planning and Partnership Meeting on Tuesday, November 23rd, on-line, via Microsoft Teams beginning at 2:00 p.m.
The purpose of the meeting is to discuss potential facility partnership opportunities and exchange ideas with community partners.
How are Facility-Sharing Partnership opportunities identified?
- The Greater Essex County District School Board (GECDSB) will identify facilities that may be suitable for partnerships with respect to use of space within existing schools or co-build opportunities when undertaking new construction or significant renovations.
- Information about facilities identified as having the potential for facility-sharing partnerships will be posted on the Board’s website.
- Entities that provide services and programs for children, their families and the broader community will have the opportunity to express interest in sharing facilities with the school board and are encouraged to submit expressions of interest at any time throughout the year.
Criteria for Facility-Sharing Community Partnerships:
The GECDSB considers the value of the partnerships to students when applying the following criteria in approving partnerships:
- The health and safety of students must be protected
- Partnerships must be appropriate for the school setting
- Partnerships must not compromise the student achievement strategy
- Entities providing competing education services such as tutoring services, JK – 12 private schools or private colleges, and credit offering entities that are not government funded, are not eligible partners
- New schools, additions and significant renovations may be considered as opportunities for partnerships
- The Board encourages community partners to provide notification to the Board on an ongoing basis when community partners have proposals or plans to build their own new facilities
What must be considered?
Partnerships between schools and other community partners should:
- Be mutually beneficial for the school/board and the other partners
- Be sustainable
- Respect the primacy of the school’s major purpose, to provide students with instruction and education
- Respect the core values of each partner and ensure the safety of students
Are there costs involved with a Facility-Sharing Community Partnership?
- Facility-sharing partnerships will be administered through formal agreements with the community partner and will be reviewed on a regular basis
- Partnerships will exist on a cost-recovery basis
- Partners will be responsible for professional, capital, maintenance and operating costs and applicable taxes when developing, constructing and/or operating in the shared facility. Additional costs to the community partner include a proportional share of all shared space. This includes capital renewal, land costs and any administrative costs incurred by the Board.
How do I rent a school if I am interested in using it for after-hours use for a sports league, recreational programs or community event?
- Rental of school facilities is administered through the Rentals - Community Use of Schools office.
How do I indicate interest leasing underutilized space or a co-building opportunity with the GECDSB?
Expressions of interest in a facility-sharing partnership can be initiated by completing the Interest in Facility-sharing Community Partnership form.