This program has been funded by the Province of Ontario’s Ministry of Education. The goal of this summer program is to provide opportunities for young people in the community to be engaged in positive activities in safe and supportive environments. Offered July to mid-August.
The funding received is to be used to support the following activities:
- Free access to school space for not-for-profit community groups offering programs to children and youth
- Leadership training for youth
- Employment opportunities for youth in our secondary schools
The application process for summer 2017 is closed.
Ministry of Education Program Principles:
- Enhance high quality summer program opportunities for children and youth in inner city areas by offering free use of school space for organized community-based programs, and by providing employment opportunities and leadership activities in a safe and supportive environment for the youth of these communities.
- Programs and opportunities may be linked to educational outcomes in various ways, including, but not limited to, literacy, numeracy, learning opportunities through play, cultivating healthy life-styles, positive role modeling, and nurturing a positive self-image for the children and youth of these communities.
- FOY funding is intended to create new programming and expand or extend the hours of current programming in schools, rather than provide funds for youth to attend existing community programs outside of schools.