The Ministry of Education has mandated school boards in Ontario to provide asymptomatic testing for school staff and students. This initiative is called "Expanded Targeted Testing in Schools" and the GECDSB is slated to begin the week of February 22, 2021.
- asymptomatic testing will be conducted in at least 5% of GECDSB schools each week (3 schools)
- we are required to reach at least 2% of our student population each week
- testing is voluntary
- testing will be conducted by a third party vendor (to be announced)
- testing will be conducted after school hours, on weekends, during the school days, or a combination
- the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit will provide epidemiological data to help determine at which schools or geographic areas testing will be provided
- we are working with our co-terminus board to provide convenient access to testing
We are still developing the GECDSB plan. Further information, including testing schedules, will be shared as soon as it is available.