Greater Essex County District School Board 451 Park St. W, Windsor N9A 6K1
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: May 11, 2016
Contact: Josh Canty, Principal
Herman student best precision machining apprentice
David Garrett, a Grade 12 student at W.F. Herman Secondary School, won the gold medal in Precision Machining at the Ontario Technological Skills Competition held on May 3rd in Waterloo. He has earned a spot on Team Ontario to compete at the Skills Canada National Competition in Moncton, NB on June 5th – 8th.
After winning the gold medal at the local “Get Skilled” competition at St. Clair College on April 2nd, David advanced to the Ontario-wide competition. Competing against 20 their peers at the provincial level, students complete two projects- one on a milling machine and one on a lathe. The students’ work is evaluated by experts in the industry who measure each project’s accuracy and precision against the standard.
David honed his precision metal cutting skills at Confidence Tool & Mold in Oldcastle through the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program while taking Mr. Glen Holden’s Precision Machining class at Herman.
Here are the GECDSB’s complete results from the Ontario Technological Skills Competition:
- David Garrett (Herman) – Precision Machining – 1st Place (Gold Medal)
- Cheyenne Gauthier (Riverside) – Fashion Design – 4th Place
- Andrea Loubert (Sandwich) – Photography – 5th Place
- Linda Yang (Vincent Massey) – Mechanical CAD – 6th Place
- Amanda Luppino (Herman) – Hairstyling – 25th Place
- Dillon McLachlan (Riverside) – Auto Service – 29th Place
- Dalton Underwood and Xander Lefaive (Vincent Massey) – 2-person Team Carpentry – 36th Place
For more information, please contact Mr. Josh Canty, Principal.