The Greater Essex County District School Board has a detailed Outbreak Plan (posted in margin, left) to respond to students and staff who experience symptoms of COVD-19 while at school.
What happens when there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a GECDSB school community?
- The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit will notify the school principal and we will follow their direction.
- Cohort lists, busing information and before / after school programs (if applicable) in addition to other pertinent information will be shared with the WECHU to begin contact tracing
- Direct contacts will be notified and we will follow the direction of the public health professionals (if someone has not been informed by school or WECHU, they are not considered to be a direct contact)
- The GECDSB will follow the direction of the WECHU regarding the status of the school
- Parents / guardians may be directed to pick up their children from school, even if the student(s) typically take the bus
- When all direct contacts have been notified, the entire school community will receive electronic notification of the confirmed case
- We will not provide personal information regarding the confirmed case
- Information will be updated on school / board websites
- Enhanced cleaning measures will be taken
- Learning will continue for affected students throughout the self-isolation period and teachers will stay in touch
This process will be the same if notice of a confirmed COVID-19 case is received on the weekend or during the school day.