A message for GECDSB students and families:
We all, once again, face another challenge to teaching, learning and living in these turbulent times. Being able to respond effectively to rapidly changing circumstances has become an indispensable asset.
On Monday, the Government of Ontario ordered all schools in the province to move to full remote (on-line), teacher-led learning following the Spring Break. It's believed that this is necessary to deter the spread of COVID-19 in our communities, especially any Variants of Concern which are currently being observed in many areas.
Right now, the order is indefinite. We don't know when we will be permitted to resume in-person learning. That depends, ultimately, on how well we all follow the recommended health and safety measures intended to fight this virus.
Due to the need to prepare and organize for this transition, classes for all GECDSB students will resume on Tuesday, April 20th.
On Monday, the 19th, both elementary and secondary teachers will connect with their students to make sure they're ready for the following day and determine any technical needs and access to resources. They will also provide students with some work for the day they can complete, independently.
- If a student is in need of technology to participate in remote learning, parents/guardians should contact the school.
- Elementary schools will follow their established start and end times.
- Secondary students' first period on Tuesday will run for 150 consecutive minutes commencing at the regular school start time.
- The format & schedule for the GECDSB Virtual schools will remain the same and resume on Tuesday, April 20th.
- For students with special needs currently registered for in-person learning in the GAINS and STEPS programs, in-person classes will resume on Tuesday, April 20th. A staff member will be in contact on Monday, April 19th to discuss schedules and student transportation.
- Students in the secondary STEPS program are to continue to use the GEC tool for daily secondary self-assessment.
- For April 20th only, all elementary students in GAINS who are attending in-person must complete a self-assessment and provide confirmation to their teacher. Each school has already communicated its own procedure.
- Friday, April 23, 2021 will be a PA day for GECDSB secondary students.
It is recommended that you rely on trustworthy sources such as our website, www.publicboard.ca, Edsby and our official social media platforms for any information updates.