In 2003 J.E. Benson Public School was declared Prohibitive to Repair* by the Ministry of Education and approximately $8.5 million was provided to replace the Wyandotte St. school which had been built in 1915.
Plans were made and a design created for a new J.E. Benson Public School in 2007, but the Ministry ordered a hold on the project due to dramatically declining enrolment in the area.
A Program and Accommodation Review Committee (PARC) study was ordered by the Board of Trustees in 2010 for the Benson and Dr. H.D. Taylor school communities. A recommendation was approved in April, 2011 to combine the schools in a new building to be built on the Dr. H.D. Taylor property on Campbell Avenue.
The Board retained Glos Associates Inc. to design the new school and their plans were approved by Trustees in November, 2012.
(Artist's rendering - right - facing Campbell Avenue)
*Prohibitive to Repair - when the cost of required repairs surpasses 35% of the estimated cost of replacing the building.
Design Drawing - Second Floor
Design Drawing - First Floor