Take Our Kids to Work
Information for Students/Parents/Legal Guardians
On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, Gr. 9 students are invited to participate in Take Our Kids to Work by spending a day in the workplace with their parent/legal guardian.
The Greater Essex County District School Board, in cooperation with the Learning Partnership and our local business/labour community, is proud to be involved in this exciting initiative and valuable community-connected experiential learning opportunity.
Take Our Kids to Work is organized by the GECDSB to give Gr. 9 students an opportunity to:
- experience a day at work/develop a closer dialogue with a parent/legal guardian
- recognize the practical side of what they learn in school (all Gr. 9 provincial curriculum guidelines include career education expectations)
- explore the world of work in a meaningful way (understand different roles/responsibilities, realize the demands/realities of the workplace)
- boost their understanding of individual jobs in the context of the local community
- appreciate what adults do to support themselves/their families
- ask themselves critical questions as they begin to make educational, career and life planning decisions about the future
- recognize the importance of continuous learning and real world application of their education
- reflect on their experience
The GECDSB is committed to student safety. Workplace Health and Safety are vital aspects of Take Our Kids to Work. It is essential that students receive information about Health and Safety prior to the workplace visit on November 6, 2018.
- complete the online Health and Safety education session by October 30, 2019 (parents/legal guardians are encouraged to participate as learning about workplace safety is everyone's responsibility)
- return the completed Registration Form to your school's Take Our Kids to Work School Contact by November 1, 2019
Inquiries may be sent to:
Special Assignment Teacher - Experiential Learning
(519) 255-3200, ext. 10257
Thank you for your support and participation in Take Our Kids to Work.