The Greater Essex County District School Board recognizes that personal communication and computing devices such as cellular phones, Smart Phones, laptops, Netbooks or other electronic communication and computing devices have value and can be used effectively to support learning. However, within the confines of the school environment, their use has the potential to be disruptive when it undermines the integrity of an individual’s right to privacy; adversely affects the quality of teaching or learning; and/or interferes with the safe and efficient operation of the school.
1) Use of personal communication and/or computing devices is only permitted in school
buildings or on school grounds during instructional time when permitted and supervised by a
teacher or support staff.
2) The Greater Essex County District School Board and/or the school are not liable for damage, loss or theft of the device or data that is stored on the device.
3) Personal communication and computing devices that are brought to school, are to be
off during instructional time unless use is approved by a teacher or support staff.
4) Personal communication and computing devices must not be used at any time where
individual privacy must be protected such as washrooms, locker or change rooms.
5) Unless expressly permitted by a teacher or support staff, personal communication and
computing devices are not to be used during a curriculum assessment or evaluation
(test or examination).
6) Students will be subject to school discipline, suspension, expulsion and/or police
involvement, as per the school and board policy relative to the Code of Conduct, when:
a. a communication and/or computing device is used in such a way that disrespects
another's privacy (example, posting a picture or movie without consent of the person or people in the picture or movie);
b. a communication and/or computing device is used to bully or harass;
c. a communication and/or computing device is used, without staff permission, during a
curriculum assessment or evaluation (test or examination).
7) Consequences for the inappropriate use of personal communication and computing devices
by students shall be consistent with the GECDSB and the school Code of Conduct.