Regular attendance and punctuality are habits and qualities that are important in any work environment. It is also a legal requirement for students to attend school. It is the student’s responsibility to report to class on time, ready to learn with all appropriate materials (i.e. pencils, pens, calculators etc.) and books (i.e. textbooks, notebooks etc.). Below is the bell schedule at General Amherst High School: (This has been alter for the 2020-2021 School year)
8:20 am Morning Bell Tone
8:25 – 9:40 am “O Canada”, Announcements, Period 1
9:40 – 9:45 am Bell Tone (Class Change)
9:45 –11:00 am Period 2
11:00 – 11:40 am Lunch – Bell Tone at 11:40 am
11:45 – 1:00 pm Period 3
1:00 – 1:05 pm Bell Tone (Class Change)
1:05 – 2:20 pm Period 4
Detentions are served on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
after school from 2:20 to 3:00 in Room 118.
ABSENCES FROM CLASS
1. If a student is absent from school, a parent/legal guardian must contact the school that day or send a note explaining the reason for their son/daughter’s absence the following day.
2. If a phone call is made, the parent/legal guardian can call the school (736-2149 Press 1) and leave a message regarding the absence. Please be sure to spell the first and last name of your son/daughter and indicate the reason for their absence. In addition, please leave a phone number where we can contact you.
3. If a note is submitted, please indicate your son/daughter’s first and last name and the reason for their absence. Please date the note and indicate the date of the absence(s). The student must report to the Attendance Office with the note. An admit slip will be issued to the student and will be used to gain admission to classes for the remainder of that day. If the student does not have a note, she/he will be marked truant and assigned detention(s).
4. Forged documents and/or parent/guardian impersonations via phone contact are a serious violation of trust and will result in disciplinary action.
5. It is the responsibility of a truant student to meet with the teacher to make up any missed class assignments, homework, notes, tests.
6. Once a pattern of truancy is established, parents will be notified to help resolve the problem. Should the pattern continue beyond this point the student may be suspended.
Should the pattern persist, the student may be invited to seek out an alternate school setting or educational environment.
7. If the student must leave the school early or for part of the day, parents must send a note excusing the student from classes. Students must get an excusal slip before 8:20 a.m. and present this to the teacher before leaving the building. If a student leaves the building without permission from the attendance office, the student will be considered truant.
8. If a student should become ill, she/he must report to the Attendance Office. The parent, guardian or emergency contact will be notified and arrangements will be made for his/her release from school. Any student leaving school for the day must report to the attendance office to Sign Out.
9. Students who reach the age 18 will be held accountable for their attendance and academic progress.
10. Explained absences due to field trips, hospitalization, illness or school activities are recorded as explained absences.
11. School Sanctioned Event - A student must be at school for the entire day in order to participate in a school sanctioned event after school unless the Vice-Principal or Principal has approved the absence.
12: LATES If you arrive at school, between 8:20 AM and 8:25 AM you must report immediately to class. If a student arrives to school after 8:25 AM he/she must report directly to the attendance office for an Admit Slip. If you arrive late for any other classes your teacher will record the late and inform the office on their attendance. Lateness for an invalid reason (e.g. “I slept in”) may result in disciplinary action. As well, it is your responsibility to be in class on time. Persistent lateness will result in increased consequences that may include suspension from school.
Your attendance is checked in each period of each school day. You may not be absent from a class without prior permission.