As parents / guardians and educators one of our foremost concerns is the safety and well-being of our children. Periodically it is important to remind young people how they can keep themselves safe while in the community.
Please reinforce with your children the importance of the following safety precautions:
- Always walk with a buddy
- Choose one route to school and always take that route
- Walk to and from school directly – don't stop to play and let a parent/guardian know when you have arrived home
- Never talk to or accept anything from a stranger
- If someone approaches you or tries to speak with you or follow you, run to the nearest store, school or familiar location and seek the assistance of a trusted adult
- If you are approached, or notice someone watching you tell your parent/guardian or a school staff member immediately
- Walk on the sidewalk well away from parked or moving cars (not down an alley)
- You should cross streets only at corners or pedestrian crosswalks
- Do not cross the street between parked cars
This message is a precautionary measure to keep our children safe. If parents/guardians have concerns regarding something observed or reported by a child please contact police immediately.
The website: http://www.elmer.ca/home is a great resource with lots of information, activities and safety-related games you can play with your child.