Margaret D. Bennie Public School is located at 259 Sherk Street in Leamington. The school is in the same neighbourhood as the Kinsmen Recreation Complex and the Highbury Canco Corporation.
The school was built in 1959 and was named in honour of its first principal, Margaret D. Bennie. She was a very respected educator in the Leamington area for many years.
A permapak addition of 8 classrooms and a resource centre was completed in 1991/92. The school shares its playground with the local community. .
Our current school population is approximately 300 students, enrolled from Junior Kindergarten to grade 8. We have a special education program with a strong emphasis on integration in the regular classroom. We have a diverse community of learners with about 28% of our students coming from homes where English is the second language spoken. As a result we enjoy the benefits of exposure to other cultures and customs.
We have a very hard working staff committed to their own professional development and growth. Our School Council meets monthly and contributes a great deal to our success as a learning organization.