Roseland School has a long and interesting history. A search of the archives yields many documents going back to 1913.
In August of 1913 a meeting was held at Jackson Corner where the borders of the townships of Sandwich East, Sandwich West and Sandwich South met. The purpose of the meeting was to organize a union school. Later that year, in October, it was decided that debentures would be issued to finance this project. In December a site was purchased for $525.00 from Struase Land Company and building could commence. A brick school, consisting of one classroom and a small teacher?s room was erected at an estimated cost of $3,500.00.
The school opened at Easter in 1914 with an enrollment of twenty five pupils. Miss Alta Williams was engaged as a teacher and she stayed until 1918. Trees were planted by Charles Allen the following year.
In July, 1925, a meeting of the rate payers was held to authorize the School Board to borrow $11,000.00 through debentures to build a two room school in place of the former school. At this time the enrollment of the school had increased 54 pupils. Another teacher was hired to teach the primary room. In 1926, Mrs. Fisher, who was principal, resigned because of ill health and Miss Olive LePain, later Mrs. Marcoux, was engaged as principal in January 1927. She stayed on until her retirement in June of 1969. She will long be remembered for her sincere love of children and her outstanding dedication to the teaching profession. The school library is named in her honour.
In May, 1928, two rooms were added to the school for $20,705.00 with debentures again being issued. The school now consisted of four classrooms, a teacher?s room, separate washrooms, and a small basement for the furnace. It became known as S.S. 20 at this time. The enrollment was 110 pupils which increased to 120 in the spring. Three classrooms were in use with a resulting increase in staff.
An official opening of the school was held in September 1928 and the ladies of the community formed a committee to beautify the school grounds. A terrace was built and trees and flowers were planted around the school.
In January 1940 the fourth classroom was equipped and staffed.
In 1947 a bus was charted to conduct Grade Seven and Grade 8 students to Sandwich Collegiate for Home Economics and Manual Training. This was a ?act of courtesy? on the part of the Windsor Board as no remuneration was received from the Township.
There was a rapid population growth in South Windsor in the late forties, fifties and sixties. Roseland School experienced a number of additions. In 1949 a primary room, now room #14, was constructed at the east end of the school. Three years later a kindergarten room and Mrs. Marcoux?s classroom and office were built. That classroom/office is now another kindergarten room looking out onto the courtyard.
From 1954 to 1966 the school experienced large scale expansion. In 1954 the beginnings of hall # 2 were added. This was a four classroom addition, staff room and a nurses room. The nurses room is now the vice principal office. Six years later hall # 2 was completed with the addition of two classrooms and a gymnatorium. Finally, in 1966, the school expanded with the addition of four classrooms and a library making up hall # 3. During the building of this addition the Grade Eight students were transferred to Oakwood school until the addition was complete.
In June, 1988, the student enrollment was 310.
Over the next ten years the student population began to rise again. A surge in home construction in the South Windsor area resulted in over crowding at Roseland, Northwood and Southwood Schools. In September, 2001, the Grade Seven and Grade Eight students from those three schools moved into a wing of Massey Secondary School and became known as Massey Elementary. These students returned to Roseland in September, 2006.
In September 2002 two portables were added to Roseland. In September 2003 an eight classroom and two office addition, known as hall # 4, was completed.
In Nov. 2003 the school celebrated our 75th anniversary. On Saturday, November 15th, we opened the 1988 time capsule and created a new one for the 100th celebration in 2028.
Roseland School now has three kindergarten classes in two classrooms, a daycare room, two special Education classes, and twenty homerooms from Grade One to Grade Eight. Each day approximately 525 children come to school. Presently we are served by eight buses in the morning and after school and two noon hour kindergarten buses.